Friday, August 10, 2012

Ouch! Dog Bite!

We have a neighbor with a dog we like to call "killer".  It is a small dog.  Most small dogs tend to bark but this one . . . we were sure it would attack any chance it got.  There are 4 people living in this condo.  The 2 moms, an adult (19ish) daughter and a son, Michael (middle school age).  The daughter, when she walks the dog, will carry him/her in the elevator and wait until she is outside away from people before she puts it down.  Even if you are in the elevator with her, it seems like it will jump right out of her hands if it had the opportunity.  It is almost always growling unless it's barking.
 
I had just dropped girls off after bringing them home from Girl's Camp.  I had previously dropped Maggie (& Samantha) off because we were passing by our house anyway & they had just woken up from being asleep in the car.  I then took the other girls home. I had an appointment with the dermatologist in a little less than an hour.  I was going to run upstairs, go to the bathroom, fill my water & leave again.  I was waiting for the elevator when Michael (carrying a bag of trash) and a younger boy (about 8-10) holding "Killer"'s leash came out of the elevator.  "Killer" was the first off the elevator and jumped at me and bit my pants.  This really surprised me as I knew there was someone in the elevator (I could hear them talking) and was backed up quite a bit to give them room to get out.  I pushed "Killer" off my pants with my foot and he/she released the pants and came back and bit again.  This time the bite went through my pants into my leg!  Needless to say, I wet myself.  Michael pulled "Killer" leash and they left to take out the trash & walk the dog.
 
Here are pictures of the bite


 
 
Ouch!  After cleaning myself up, changing my clothes & refilling my water I went by the neighbor's house on my way back out.  They said the dog had all her shots.  The dermatologist wouldn't let me leave until I agreed to get the bite checked out by either my primary care doctor (who wasn't there) or the clinic.  On my way home, I called the city & reported the bite.  The dog had to be quarantined for 10 days.  What is really needed is some owner/dog training.  I just make sure to keep WAY clear of the elevator if I hear anyone inside.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment