Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cleaning the church

Our family had the priviledge of cleaning the church this past Saturday.  We belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  We do not hire people to clean our buildings.  The members are the ones who do the cleaning.  In our building there are 3 Wards (congregations).  Our Ward gets the opportunity to clean the building every 3rd week.  On Sunday they asked in Priesthood opening exercises if anyone wanted to help clean.  My son, T, volunteered our family.  I am so proud of him.
Rosie & G preparing to vacuum
We showed up at 8:30 to help clean.  CB had to go to one of the other building to help with a computer problem.  There were only 3 other people there to help.  One of them was extremely ill, one of the others took him to the hospital. The other volunteer, Andre (an 18 year old), my 4 children & I cleaned the building.  I found myself singing one of the Primary songs that I learned as a child about Saturdays.
Essie cleaning chalkboards
G & Rosie got out the vacuums and did a wonderful job.  Essie was in charge of cleaning all chalkboards.  T started on the windows.  Andre emptied all the trash cans.  I cleaned the bathrooms (all 5).  At least the next day I knew they were really clean!
Getting ready to clean the bathrooms
CB showed up when most of us were done.  T was still working on windows.  CB grabbed another spray bottle and went to work to help him finish. 
T cleaning windows




I really apreciate the opportinity our family has to help clean the church.  The children take more ownership in the building and appreciate what goes into keeping it clean.  I hope all families, when given the opportunity, take it. 
I wonder what it's like to clean the temple & who gets the priviledge of doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment