Friday, July 20, 2012

Sometimes I forget that Having Asthma SUCKS!

I have asthma. I have had it under control for the past few years. I don't even have a rescue inhaler. Well . . . as of yesterday, I cannot breathe. I had actually forgotten how hard it can be to breathe. I'm not one to complain to the doctor, I'm more of a let's see if I can deal with this kind of a person.

On Wednesday I sent an email asking my doctor for a perscription for a rescue inhaler. I hadn't been to the store to get what I needed for dinner so instead I went & picked up McDonald's for everyone. I cancelled my 8:30 AM phototherapy appointment for the next morning & went to bed.

Rosie & I went to the grocery store Thursday afternoon. I really had trouble breathing as we went through the store. When we got home I checked if the doctor had replied to me. She had not so I sent her another message.

Side note - My previous doctor had given my a perscription to keep at home for times such as this. It has 3 pills that you take one a day for three days. Whenever I had these breathing issues he would have me start the pills & if I wasn't better in 3 days I would go see him. I still have 2 sets of these pills and they're not expired.

In my message to my doctor I told her about these pills & asked if I should take them. She did not reply before I went to bed.

I turned the oxygen up on my bi-pap machine & went to bed. This morning I was no better. I did not remember to check & see if the doctor had replied (they usually send an email to let me know to check my messages - either they didn't or I missed it).  It wasn't until my sister, Tammy, called me (around 1:30 PM) that I remembered to check messages. The doctor put in a perscription for a rescue inhaler (Albuterol) & said I should call CDU. I called & they set up an appointment at 2:20 (it was 2:05). The girl said I should be 10 minutes early (right like I can get ready & be there in 5 minutes!).
I got here 10 minutes late. :)

Took with my phone, not so bad since I took it myself :)


I am right now in the Critical Decision Unit at Kaiser in Gaithersburg. I've had a breathing treatment, had blood drawn, have an IV & received some medication through the IV. I'm still wheezing! I've been here 2 1/2 hours. We're waiting on lab results & ?.

Good news - I took one look at the hospital bed & was sure I was too big . . . I'm not! They even put the sides up & I've got plenty of room, yay! Now if I only knew how much longer I was going to be here . . .

5:30 PM Update - labs are back, going to get another breathing treatment, then probably being sent home.

8:30 PM Update - I had a 3rd breathing treatment after 7 PM and then was released to go home.  I can breathe now! YAY!

1 comment:

  1. Scary! Let me know when they send you home (or if they decide to keep you).

    ReplyDelete