Monday, July 16, 2012

My Rude Children

Tonight there was a Stake Fireside for the Youth, ages 12-18 & their parents. (A Stake is a group of 5-8 congregations - a Fireside is a devotional meeting run by leaders in the area) The Stake leaders wanted to talk with the youth about questions that might be asked about the church and help them to know how to answer them.

CB & I took G, T, Rosie & Essie (even though she's only 11).  CB, Essie & I sat together while G, T & Rosie refused to sit with us.  We were sitting in the 5th row in the chapel.  They wanted to sit in the back (in the overflow seating).  I knew that if they sat that far away they would not pay attention.  I told them they had a choice to sit with us or sit in the row in front of us.  They choose to sit in front of us. 

I thought the Fireside was very helpful & informative.  Essie also thought it was really good.  G, T & Rosie talked almost the entire time (to each other!).  No matter what CB or I said to them they just would not stop.  CB said one of the father's in the row in front of them kept turning around to look at them. 

I was so frustrated!  G & T are 17 years old and Rosie is 15.  At this age they should know better.  On the way home I was trying to talk to them about what happened.  T & G were very defensive about what happened.  G kept telling me that if I had let them sit in the back they wouldn't have been a distraction.  I'm really surprised he thought that was the solution. 

How do you get 17 year olds and a 15 year old to behave for an hour in a meeting that is directed at them.  The other youth there (even those sitting with friends) were able to behave.  The other youth participated when volunteers were asked for.  AAUGH!


No comments:

Post a Comment